If you want to determine whether PortaSwitch can be installed on a specific server, please use the Hardware compatibility tool provided by PortaOne.
You can download the ISO file with the Hardware compatibility tool from:
Burn it to an optical disc or create a bootable USB flash drive from it, then boot up from this medium. The PortaSwitch test utility will detect if all of the required components (e.g., network interface) are available and supported by Linux.
Make sure that your servers are installed and equipped with all the required hardware, in particular:
- A 64-bit processor (Xeon, Opteron) released in 2010 or later, with frequency of 2.2GHz or higher. Additional processors are recommended for networks with a high call volume.
- At least 250 GB of the total available disk space.
- Two network (Gigabit Ethernet) ports.
- DVD-ROM – if you want to install PortaSwitch from optical discs (in the case of a USB DVD-ROM, follow the steps in the … install PortaSwitch using USB DVD-ROM? section of the “How to…” chapter to start the installation) or USB slot – if you want to install PortaSwitch from USB flash drives.
- Video adapter/monitor/keyboard/mouse (required only during the installation process).
Please avoid any entry-level or desktop-oriented components – use only high-performance ones. For example, RAID must be write cache enabled, network adapter must be the “server” mode. Check if the hardware installed on your server is supported by Oracle Enterprise Linux 7.9. You can check this at the website: https://hardware.redhat.com.
Network configuration parameters
During the installation you will be prompted for the network configuration parameters. Please make a decision regarding these before installation, consulting your network administrator if necessary. It is possible that you will have to perform installation while the network is not yet available (from your office, for example, while the servers will be placed in a server hosting center), but you will need to enter the correct data anyway. Please have the following ready:
- Planned host names and IP addresses of the servers.
- Subnet mask.
- IP address of the default gateway.
- IP address of the DNS server.
If you have a hardware RAID controller in your system, please configure it by creating a logical RAID entry and allocating the physical drives to it. The recommended configuration (depending on the amount of hard drives in the system) is as follows:
- 2 disks – RAID 1 (mirroring).
- 3 disks – RAID 1 (mirroring) on the first two disks, third one left as a hot spare.
- 4 disks – RAID 1+0 (mirroring + striping).
- More than 4 disks – RAID 1+0 (mirroring + striping) on the first four disks, others left as a hot spare.
Five (5) Servers for PortaSwitch or nine (9) servers for PortaSwitch Clustered. For additional details regarding the recommended hardware configuration of each server, consult the Hardware Recommendations section on our website.
For information about whether particular hardware is supported by Oracle Enterprise Linux used as the operating system in PortaSwitch, consult the related document on the Oracle website: https://linux.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=117:1
OS: MS Windows 7 or above, Linux/BSD, macOS Sierra (version 10.12) or above.
Google Chrome 84 or above, Mozilla Firefox 78 ESR, Mozilla Firefox 80 or above.
Spreadsheet processor: MS Excel, OpenOffice Calc, LibreOffice Calc, Google Sheets.
Display settings: A minimum screen resolution of 1366 × 768.